Monday, June 11, 2012

Family Adventures: The Doughnut Dilemma


I'm not sure I should tell you about the doughnuts.

Our local pie shack, Poorhouse Pies, has branched out.  They are now offering fresh, homemade doughnuts on Sunday mornings - first come, first serve.  That's the dilemma.  Not surprisingly, word has gotten around.  People have been driving in from up to an hour away for pies and doughnuts.  We were lucky to get our half-dozen this weekend.  Yes, they're that good.  So, if you're in the area, here's the website.  You're on your own for sorting out the rest of the details.  Here's their key lime pie:


Photo via Facebook

In other news, Our Girl had her first-ever piano recital on Saturday.  She's only been taking lessons for about a month now but her teacher wanted to give her the opportunity if she wanted to try.  She did a great job - a bit nervous, of course, but she played beautifully.  Most importantly, she also got to hear the other students and get a sense of what she could learn to play herself if she sticks with it.

I've deliberately avoided pushing music too hard with her.  I am a music teacher by trade and I would never have wanted her to do it because she thought I expected it.  As with all arts, sports and other non-school activities, I would want her to do it because she loves it, not because she feels we want it for her.  (Swimming's the exception, to my mind.  That's a basic life skill everyone should learn.)  But, as it turned out, Mom was really keen for her to give it a try so we found a teacher. 

She seems to genuinely enjoy it so far.  I do insist that she practices and while there's occasionally some grumbling before she starts, she usually wants to keep playing when I tell her the obligatory half-hour is over.  "I'm not finished yet," she insists.  I take that as a good sign.

We went out for dinner on Sunday night to The Village Cup.  Their Routes of America theme for the year continues.  Puerto Rico is the focus this week.  I had a Tropical Sunrise after dinner, basically an Orange Julius equivalent - yum!

We're getting better at this kickball thing.  Tonight's game ended in a tie, 1-1.  I played catcher again.  I think I may request a transfer to the outfield.  I'd like to run around a bit more.  Team leadership is getting us more organized, which I think is a great thing.

1 comment:

  1. Our daughter has been taking piano for about two months, now. And she's in swim lessons this summer, too -- a big priority for her dad and I, definitely a basic life skill.

    I too love it when my daughter exceeds the required time spent on the instrument. She likes to sing and then find the note on the keyboard after she's done what's assigned. It's a joy to listen to.

    ReplyDelete