Thursday, April 18, 2013

A Comic Book Scavenger Hunt, A-Z: Pathfinder

Title: Pathfinder
Issue: #1
Release: August 2012
Writer: Jim Zub
Artist: Andrew Huerta
Store: Earth Prime Comics (Burlington, Vermont)

Image via Newsarama.com

For me, Pathfinder provides a strong nostalgic tug.  Based on a roleplaying game of the same name, the story has all the trappings of Dungeons & Dragons games of my youth: a medieval setting, characters of varying, quantifiable skills and characteristics, fighting, magic, adventure, gruesome creatures, etc. This series definitely sparks my curiosity, though I must admit that I feel more inspired to seek out D&D comics.  The publisher has given Pathfinder a T+ rating - for older teens.

My scavenger hunt was pretty straight-forward: find single-issue comic books off the rack with titles starting from A-Z.  Go check out the rest of the participants in this year's A-Z challenge.  The official site is here.

16 comments:

  1. This is interesting; I didn't know there was a Pathfinder comic. I know the game as an example of a "retro-clone" of D&D. It's an interesting story how the copyright holders of D&D got the idea to release many of their rules in an open-source format, but then people started using them (legally) as the core of brand new games that would then compete with D&D on game store shelves! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping the RPG fans would enjoy this one. I was pleasantly surprised with Pathfinder.

      Delete
  2. I think I have a different series called Pathfinder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing I could find was a film adaptation, dated 2006. Is that it?

      Delete
  3. I don't remember. I'd actually have to go look for it. I'm drawing a blank on the name of the company I think released it. If I have time, I'll check later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the cover art. Elf girl looks like she could kick some butt. I like her hair too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Elf girl, too. Her name is Merisiel, classified as female elf rogue 1.

      Delete
  5. Not the Karl Urban movie. Not even related. Such a shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a graphic novel based on that movie, though. I have not read it.

      Delete
  6. Wow. I did not know there were so many comics out there! What a fun idea for an A-Z theme. :)

    Jaimie at Living in the Light
    A to Z Ambassador

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There certainly are. I'm barely scratching the surface here.

      Thanks for stopping by, Jaimie, and for being an A to Z Ambassador.

      Delete
  7. You can sample the full first issue of Pathfinder online from here:
    Pathfinder issue #1 online

    ReplyDelete