Wednesday, November 13, 2019

On the Coffee Table: Not the Israel My Parents Promised Me

Title: Not the Israel My Parents Promised Me
Writer: Harvey Pekar
Artist: J.T. Waldman
Image result for not the israel my parents promised
via Amazon

Harvey Pekar made a name for himself within the comic book industry as a writer of graphic novel memoirs.  Not the Israel My Parents Promised Me is one of several published after his death in 2010.  It tells of his personal history with Zionism.  Born into a Jewish family in Cleveland, his Communist mother and religiously devoted father both supported the Israeli state, though for different reasons.  Harvey's own attitudes changed a great deal as an adult, eventually developing great sympathy for the Palestinian side of the issue and questioning the moral justification of the Zionist claim. 

The book covers the history of Israel from Abraham, through the diaspora to the present day, an impressive scope for 176 pages.  Interspersed are glimpses of Pekar's own history and then-current life in Cleveland.  Particularly satisfying are the changes in art style from one era to the next: Islamic art for the rise of said empire, medieval style for the European diaspora, Bauhaus for post-WWII, etc.  Full credit to collaborator J.T. Waldman for that. 

The book fits comfortably on a shelf with Joe Sacco's Palestine and Filiu and David B.'s Best of Enemies as top quality graphic novel examinations of the Arab-Israeli conflict.

12 comments:

  1. I think I would like that, very interesting ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't even know how to comment on this one. There is only one view allowed; anything else is considered anti-Semitic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't feel that way - besides, you're not in Congress. I suggest you read my post on Sacco's Palestine. I grew up in a Jewish neighborhood and there was a vocal Arab population at my high school as well. Plus, I'm married to an Arab-American. So, my own position is heavily influenced by both sides!

      It is not anti-Semitic to question the policies of the Israeli state.

      Delete
    2. Well, -I- know that.
      And I know you know it, too, or I wouldn't even have made the comment I made.
      But I really don't have a clue as to how to begin to address these things. The people who need to hear alternative views about things are incapable of listening.

      Delete
    3. Yes. And sadly, that's the case about a lot of things these days. It's a shame. Not only is arguing the only way to move these issues forward but it can, in the right spirit, be both enjoyable and respectful.

      Delete
  3. Sounds interesting. Have you read Isaac Singer's "The Penitent"? A man immigrants to Israel and finds that Zion doesn't live up to its name.

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know the book but I've just added it to my TBR list. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. I am reading a book "The Reluctant Spy" written by Dee Ready, a blogger at "Coming home to myself" (I think). It is excellent.
    Palestine and Israel, always on a balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just read the Goodreads synopsis. Sounds fascinating.

      Delete