Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Squid Mixes: Hunter's Cocktail


A Hunter's Cocktail combines rye and cherry brandy, mixed in the glass plus a cherry garnish.  I got my recipe from The New York Bartender's Guide.  Though I didn't plan it this way, it seems an appropriate choice for the start of deer season here in Vermont.  It is highly unlikely I will ever take up hunting as a hobby but it's a big deal around here, very much a rite of passage for the age group I teach.  

Getting back to the drink, it's nice enough.  If one wanted to make a Manhattan but had no vermouth yet amazingly did have some cherry brandy, it would do in a pinch.  I missed the Angostura bitters, though - no reason one couldn't add it, but then you might have to call the drink something else.  A Cherry Manhattan?

From my walks:

10 comments:

  1. mmm i will drink thi magic cocktail by myself:D follow:) hope U follow back:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should try, it sounds exciting combination: rye and cherry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife asked for it again one evening this week - always a good sign! One tastes a lot less of the cherry than the rye. It could be interesting to experiment with that balance, though I rather like the slight hint of the cherry. I'm more in it for the whiskey anyway. Someone else might feel differently.

      Delete
  3. I'm from a hunting family. Somehow I got missed.
    Actually, there are reasons, but it would take too long to explain.
    At any rate, I'm not a fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reflexively, I am deeply turned off by the idea. However, it's such a big part of the culture here that my view has become more nuanced over time. From an animal rights perspective, it's far more humane than industrial agricultural practices. I'm certainly not above eating game!

      As a political body, hunters tend to be pro-environment and pro-conservation. After all, they want their own hobby to continue. Sure, it's easy to get a gun license but a lot more involved to get a hunting license. Thus the hobby also teaches responsible firearm usage.

      But I just can't get past the guns. I doubt I ever will. I have never touched a loaded gun in my life and I would like to keep it that way. The further they are away from my family and me, the better.

      Delete
    2. No time to respond to this right now, but I'll try to remember to later.

      Delete
  4. I’m going to have to find some cherry brandy. This looks good!

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good. I've been playing around with it some this week, too. More on that soon.

      Delete