Monday, January 27, 2020

Marvel Immersion Project: Amazing Fantasy #15

Image result for spiderman
via Wikipedia
My friends, today I begin a new weekly series: the Marvel Immersion Project.  Inspired by the game Marvel Codenames (see here), I have decided to dive head first into the Marvel comic book universe and swim around for a while.  The amazing Marvel Unlimited app is my medium.  To get the ball rolling, Comic Book Herald's list of "The 25 Essential Trades to Marvel Comics from 1961 to 2000" shall be my guide.

With a new series comes a new weekly posting schedule for The Squid...

Monday: The Marvel Immersion Project

Wednesday: Family Adventures

Friday: Star Trek


For starters, I'll keep things simple with just the quick details on individual issues as I read them, then some broader thoughts as they come up.  Here we go...

Amazing Fantasy #15: Spider-Man!
Originally published August 10, 1962
Writer: Stan Lee
Artist: Steve Ditko

The origin story: the outcast brainy teenager, the radioactive spider bite, the powers, the costume.  Uncle Ben dies at the hands of a criminal Spidey had previously let get away.  A motto that has held up for nearly 60 years: "With great power there must also come -- great responsibility!"


I have read the earliest Spider-Man stories before and have even blogged about them (here, for instance).  Nonetheless, Spidey is both a sensible and a comfortable place for me to start in this new adventure.  He is probably the Marvel character I know best.

20 comments:

  1. He's been my favorite since I was, like, three. Definitely by four. It's hard to know how old I was for my earliest memories of Spider-Man, but I know I was not five, yet, because of where we lived.

    I'm actually selling off a Spider-Man statue, right now, which is sad for me, but I have no place to display it, and it's just been sitting in its container in my garage for... as long as we've lived here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regarding Spidey, it all started with The Electric Company for me.

      Delete
    2. It didn't start there for me, because I already watched the cartoon, but it was definitely a part of why I loved that show.

      Delete
    3. Our daughter's school band recently did a Spider-Man piece based on the old cartoon theme. It was awesome!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a fun series you've started. Spidey is definitely my husbands favorite Marvel character. Cool post. I look forward to sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spiderman, BATMAN, SUPERMAN, DR. DOOM, DR. STRANGE, ROBIN and Thor. Super heroes are everywhere these days ready to save our little world when we need their help, bless them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only they could save us from Trump, Brexit, Australian wildfires...

      Delete
  4. Did you ever see the super-sized Superman/Spider-Man comic that was published back in the 70's? I forget how old I was at the time but I lost my mind wanting that comic. It cost me a dollar but at that time it was really hard for my parents to cough up a buck.
    I kept it for decades but sold it on eBay in 1996.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen it but I'll keep an eye out for it.

      I would imagine you got a tidy profit on your dollar investment by 1996!

      Delete
    2. I used to have that issue.
      My mom gave it away, along with all of my comics, when I was about 10. I came home one day, and they were all gone.
      :(

      Delete
    3. Heartbreaking! My old D&D books were destroyed in a basement flood. I don't think I ever would have sold them except in absolute desperation but they'd be worth many thousands now.

      Delete
    4. I suppose I've reached a sort of desperation stage because I'm selling off most of my old collectibles now. Some of them reluctantly, but I just don't have the space for them anymore.

      Delete
    5. Then again... I trust you're getting good money for the stuff?

      Delete
    6. Some of it, yes.
      The comics are a little difficult to move at value.

      Delete