Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Squid Mixes: Cardamom

Our most recent trip to DC (it's where my parents live) inspired a wrinkle in my quest for the perfect Manhattan: cardamom.  My parents' favorite restaurant is Lapis, an Afghan place in Adams Morgan (read here).  I have been several times now and have never ordered something I didn't enjoy.  Their Lapis Manhattan is delightful: rye, orange peel, cardamom, angostura, vermouth and scotch.  The cardamom definitely brought an exciting, spicy kick.  Obviously, I had to try it myself!

The question was how much?  This recipe for Blueberry Cardamom Manhattans suggested 1/8 teaspoon which seemed as good a starting point as any.


1/8 teaspoon was way too much!  My wife, who fortunately didn't mind the intensity as much as I did, has suggested crushing a single seed into the mix instead.  Alternatively, one can buy (or make) cardamom bitters.  Maybe that's the way to go.  I don't know how much whiskey I'm prepared to devote to such experiments but if I can create anything approaching that drink at Lapis, it would be worth it.


Happy, Healthy Squid

A quick fitness update: I've found my phone to be inconsistent in counting steps.  So, I'm altering my goals to 11,000 steps or 50 active minutes, which I'll just have to measure with a clock.  Perhaps my weight will start heading in the right direction now that the holidays are over, too. 

16 comments:

  1. wow....11 thousand steps?....congratulation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually only 1,000 more than the FitBit default. On an active day, I usually clear it, no problem - assuming my device is faithfully counting.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. The Lapis drink was definitely interesting. My attempt bordered on undrinkable.

      Delete
  3. By the way, you need to watch the "Twin Suns" episode of Rebels.
    You'll be glad you did.
    You don't even really need any background on the series to be able to know what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep it in mind. In fact, it seems likely that I'll tackle the whole series some day.

      Delete
  4. I use the "Pacer" app to count my daily steps. I've got it set to low sensitivity to offset it over counting my steps. My daily goal is 10,000 steps but I normally reach 11,000.

    Despite my heart condition, I've joined a gym to use the treadmill and do very light workout with weights. I'm trying to drop some weight as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I don't know if I can adjust the sensitivity on mind. I should look into that.

      Good for you, going to the gym. I'm trying to avoid that for a variety of reasons but I do think it can help for many.

      Delete
  5. Hmmm, next time I'm in DC, I might have to check out Lapis if they have GF options. Sounds good.

    Happy and healthy Squid, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have loads of restaurant recommendations for DC if you ever need them. And I'm pretty sure Lapis does have GF options.

      Delete
  6. I gave my husband a FitBit for Christmas in 2018. STill in the box. It's time for me to take over.

    Cardamon I can't picture it in a drink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice in coffee, too. I've only ever had it in a restaurant - I would imagine the quantity is key in that case, as well.

      Delete
  7. That drink sounds good. I used to make Christmas cookies with cardamom. They were so good. It was a complicated recipe, though.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck finding the right amount of cardamom. Sounds like starting off with a tiny amount and working your way up is the way to go. I had this problem with rosemary in a soup I made. Lesson learned- start off with practically none and then work my way to more and the right amount.

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your thinking. That seems a reasonable approach.

      Delete