Monday, October 18, 2021

Marvel Unlimited: Kraven's Last Hunt, Parts 4-6; Infinity Gauntlet #1-3

Alright so yes, Kraven's Last Hunt turned out to be very good indeed.  Frequent visitors may recall I had my doubts last week.  It's worth noting, it took the return of Peter Parker to the story to grab my interest.  The whole point of the arc, in fact, is Kraven exhibiting to Peter the separate aspects of his own being: what of Spidey is spider and what is man?  With Vermin as his pawn, Kraven reminds Peter that a spider for all of its extraordinary gifts is still a ruthless predator.  

Then again, that describes humans pretty well, too...

But that's not Kraven's point.  When Spidey acts with thoughtless disregard, he is the spider.  When he is driven by emotions, he is the man.  It's sort of Star Trekky, really.  But darker.

Anyway, I am now more curious about both Kraven and, to a lesser extent, Vermin.  I am always eager to learn more about Spidey.

As it turns out, I was reading the Thanos story in the right order after all.  Infinity Gauntlet comes next.  Thanos snaps his fingers and snuffs out half the population of the universe.  Sound familiar?

Starlin and Perez's story has a cast of thousands, never what I want in a comic book but all Avengers-driven stories are like this.  It's too bad because the build up stories are a lot more graceful.  Oh well.  The art's good.  Maybe I'll feel differently as I get deeper into the plot.


My Recent Reads

The Web of Spider-Man #32
Originally published November 1987
Writer: J.M. DeMatteis
Artist: Mike Zeck

The Amazing Spider-Man #294
November 1987
DeMatteis/Zeck

Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man #132
November 1987
DeMatteis/Zeck

via Amazon

Infinity Gauntlet #1
May 21, 1991
Jim Starlin/George Pérez

Infinity Gauntlet #2
June 18, 1991
Starlin/Pérez

via Amazon

Infinity Gauntlet #3
July 16, 1991
Starlin/Pérez

via Amazon

6 comments:

  1. Vermin doesn't really stay around as a character. Unless they brought him back later. I don't remember hearing of that, but, then, I haven't kept up with comics for a long while.
    Kraven, on the other hand... well, I think they should have left it where things were at the end of Last Hunt. I'm glad I don't know what, exactly, they've done, because I'm sure I wouldn't much approve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For Vermin, it's the origin story that intrigues me. It's referenced in Last Hunt. I'm curious.

      Delete
    2. There is a Vermin story that is a follow-up to the Kraven story. I don't remember if it covers his origin or not, though.

      Delete
    3. First appearance: Captain America #272. I may check it out sometime.

      Delete
  2. I remember the time I was crazy and hogged all the Marvel comics!

    ReplyDelete