Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Squid Mixes: Boston Sour


A Boston Sour combines whiskey (I used rye), lemon juice, bar sugar and egg white with a lemon slice and maraschino cherry for garnish.  I got my recipe from The New York Bartender's Guide.  The result was indeed quite sour.  As my wife walked into the kitchen, she said "It smells like one of my drinks."  She really likes lemon, you see.

My wife enjoyed the drink but was underwhelmed by the foam.  She pointed out, correctly, that restaurant cocktails tend to have thicker foam.  I skipped the dry shake this time (see here) as the particular recipe didn't call for it.  That may have made a difference.  I also may try a reverse dry shake sometime (see here).  Apparently that makes it even foamier.  Could one do both?  And/or, one can use a protein shaker ball.  I also wonder if the shape of the glass matters.  Our current coupe has a very wide mouth.  Perhaps a thinner glass would result in a thicker foam layer.  Of course, I also wonder if a professional bartender is simply using more egg, thus achieving thicker foam.

More experiments to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment