Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Squid Mixes: Clover Club Cocktail

A Clover Club Cocktail combines gin, dry vermouth, lemon juice, raspberry syrup and egg white.  I got my recipe from The Joy of Mixology by Gary Regan.  Regan also suggests skewered raspberries for garnish but my wife didn't see ones she liked at the store.  The drink hails from Philadelphia, named for a social society which frequented the Belleview-Stafford.

With this drink, I cross a threshold as a mixologist: eggs.  You know all those cocktails you see with a thick head of foam?  That's from egg whites.  I've avoided such recipes for a while, mostly because of the hassle of first separating the white and then needing something to do with the yolk.  Fortunately, one can buy already separated whites by the carton.  

According to Regan, you begin with a dry shake, another first for me.  Basically, you shake the ingredients together first before adding ice.  This helps work up the foam.  Then you add ice and shake as normal.  

We enjoyed the result.  "Goes down easy," my wife said.  It's quite sweet, no doubt thanks to the raspberry syrup, which also provides the rich red color.  The egg whites will keep refrigerated for a few weeks, leaving ample opportunity for more experiments.  Stay tuned.

4 comments:

  1. Are the eggs used raw? I used to make ice cream with raw eggs, but haven't in years because of heath concerns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they're raw. There will be a lot more about the egg foam in next week's post. In fact, this may be a big topic for me for a while.

      Delete