Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Squid Mixes: The Bedford


The Bedford combines rye, Dubonnet Rouge, Cointreau and orange bitters with an orange twist.  I got my recipe from The Joy of Mixology by Gary Regan who adapted it from the original created by Del Pedro at Grange Hall in New York.

We both found the flavor to be a bit thin.  My wife feels the absinthe in last week's Phoebe Snow offset the Dubonnet's grapiness nicely and there was nothing to play that role here.  Of course, you know what they say: absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

But seriously, folks...

I wondered if it was the rye: Tin Cup, a new brand for us.  But when I tried it on its own, it was quite flavorful.  Maybe a bit more from the citrus players would help.  Regan calls for only a teaspoon of the Cointreau and 2 dashes of the orange bitters.  I'd say double the Cointreau at least.

Oh well.  You can't win 'em all.

2 comments:

  1. Wonder where the name comes from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found nothing on that. Regan has great blurbs for each drink, including this one. But no etymology included for The Bedford.

      Delete