Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Squid Eats: The Naked Egg Café

The Naked Egg Café is a diner on the western edge of State College, Pennsylvania, not far from the Tree Farm (see here).  Years ago, the same site was home to Watkins Dariette, a good place to stop for ice cream.  I think this was my second visit to Naked Egg, though my first in several years.  It's a charming spot with a college-student waitstaff in the summer (maybe year round?).  Our server has broader farm-to-table aspirations of her own.  Listening to conversations around us, I'd say it's a popular spot with Penn State professors.


I got "The Burger" with a side of cole slaw.  A straight-up burger is always a solid test order for such an establishment, especially if there's no club sandwich on the menu.  It was well-cooked and pleasantly - and not overwhelmingly - seasoned.

Interesting artwork on the walls.


We'll definitely be back.


10 comments:

  1. Cripes, I haven't thought about State College in years. Lived in Atherton Hall back in 1984, right across the street from the local game store at the time. Never did find a good diner within walking distance, freshmen couldn't bring cars to campus back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The city has changed a lot but I'd say the basic feel is much the same.

      Delete
  2. Love the name of the place and it sounds great! Glad your food was good. I know a professor at Penn State and I hope to remember to ask her if she's been there the next time I see her. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be interested to know where the profs like to eat.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I'm actually not such a fan. The rest of my family likes them, though.

      Delete
  4. Love the name of the establishment. Sounds like a good place to visit, but I've never been to State College, PA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! It's one of those marketing "secrets." The word naked grabs people's attention. And it's not just true for diners. It's rare for me to get this many comments on a single post.

      I like State College. Growing up, it was my vision of what all college towns must be like. Since then, I've gotten to know a few others - Burlington most of all, of course.

      I prefer Burlington. There's a lot more to it than the university. It's hard to feel that way in State College. And the obsession with Penn State football borders on scary.

      Delete