Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Squid Eats: Snap Custom Pizza

Snap Custom Pizza is a Pennsylvania-based chain with five locations in its home state plus one in Delaware.  My wife and I went to the one in State College for lunch during our recent Central PA adventure.  The concept is wonderful, basically build your own pizza with your choice of crust, sauce, cheese, protein, vegetables and "finishing touches."  You want a cauliflower crust with spicy diablo sauce, goat cheese, Buffalo chicken and truffle oil?  They can do that.


Understandably, they also have a number of "Signature Pizza" offerings for the customer who's not up to thinking so hard.  We ordered two.  In the photo, the one at the top is the Sweet n' Slow, basically a meat pizza with pepperoni, sausage and meatballs.  The one at the bottom is a more adventurous curry-based pizza with chicken, corn and onions among other things.  My wife had never had corn on pizza before, a standard topping in Japan when I was there in the '90s.

We were pleased.  We definitely prefer a thicker pizza - Chicago deep-dish is the ideal - but Snap's was decent.  Maybe a little greasy but flavors were nice.  The leftovers made for a pleasant breakfast the next day.  I'd go again.  None of the ingredients on offer are particularly far out but I'd still enjoy playing mix-and-match.  I will pass on the cauliflower crust.

It's counter-service and pretty quick considering they're doing made-to-order pizzas.  In summer, there aren't quite as many students around but still, it was busy - loads of families with what looked like perspective students in tow.  I would imagine it's a popular spot during the academic year.

8 comments:

  1. It must be a popular place for students! The possibility of building your own pizzas is a plus! and they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would imagine so. Most of the locations are in college towns so I think that's key to the business plan.

      Delete
  2. Wow, cauliflower crust. I've been to such pizza places (Your Pie in Savannah used to be a favorite, but that didn't off such crusts).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have a hard time imagining I would like cauliflower crust...

      Delete
  3. OMG, this makes me crave pizza. I also like thick crust.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Son makes a great pizza dough. He always makes one a very thin crust for me.

    ReplyDelete