Tuesday, June 28, 2011

30 Songs in 30 Days, Day 12: A Song from a Band You Hate

Song: "Girlfriend in a Coma"
Writer: Johnny Marr, Morrissey
Band: The Smiths
Album: Strangeways, Here We Come



No one epitomizes pretentious self-loathing quite like the Smiths and their lead singer Morrissey. My Wife just finished Talking to Girls About Duran Duran by Rob Sheffield and he has a whole chapter on Morrissey. My favorite paragraph:
His songs were a Magic 8-Ball of the damned. Whenver I would contemplate a really big adventure, like maybe washing my hair and putting on clean socks and leaving my room, Morrissey was there to talk me out of it, and provide me with excellent reasons to keep hiding in my room where I belonged. When I did go out, to attend class or pick up a bag of Zeus Chips, I felt guilty for cheating on Morrissey with life.
*********************

I hope you'll join us for the "30 Songs in 30 Days" challenge, inspired by the tumblr list. Our 30 Songs roster:

Stay on target...
Marc Whitman's Blog
Haley says "Hello" To You

It's never too late to post your own. Tomorrow is...

Day 13: A Song That Is a Guilty Pleasure

4 comments:

  1. Your wife is incorrect.....that is all the explanation needed. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only recently started listening to things by The Smiths. I had always thought they were some kind of thrashy annoying punk rock band. I actually kind of like them.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait. You don't like The Smiths? Last Night I Dreamt...? Oscillate Wildly? Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now? Okay, Morrissey doesn't write the cheeriest lyrics in the world, but still...it's The Smith's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. Can't stand them. I realize this makes me a traitor to my demographic. But it is what it is.

      Delete