Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Roland Garros Day 4: Why Berdych Should Have Consulted Me First

Curtain Call

Player: Stephane Robert
Age: 31
Nation: France
Current Ranking: 140
Notable Conquest: Tomas Berdych (6th seed, Czech Republic)
Today's Result: lost to Fabio Fognini (Italy) in straight sets


Photo via Tennis Today

Did I not say that Tomas Berdych shouldn't have played Nice? I'm most certain I did! Nice champ Nicolas Almagro (11th, Spain) also lost first round in Paris. Why does no one ever heed my advice in these matters?

Stephane deserves major props for taking out Berdych, the biggest scalp taken by anyone in the tournament thus far. Berdych's ranking will take a big hit as he had semifinal points to defend here. For the qualifier Robert, on the other hand, even with today's pasting at the hands of Fognini, this is his best-ever result at Roland Garros. We're only four days into the tournament and I'm already honoring my second local.

No comments:

Post a Comment