Sunday, February 6, 2011

Family Adventures: Early February

The snow around here is well past the ridiculous stage at this point. Fortunately, we did get out for some winter fun this weekend. The Green Mountain Club, maintainers of Vermont's Long Trail and, thus, a very important organization in our family, held its annual snowshoe festival this weekend and we went down to Waterbury to join in the fun.


My Wife's writeup of our morning is here:

Snowshoe Short Trail Green Mountain Club HQ

In the evening, a colleague from school had a guys' night at his house as his wife and kids were out of town. I hadn't been on a night out with just guys in years. In fact, I can't remember such an evening since about 1998. It was a particularly silly night to be out on the roads as we got a foot of snow last night, plus lightning. But I took my time in both directions and made it alright.

It was a fun time. We played some table tennis - one of my favorites, though I hadn't played in ages. There's a table at the Tree Farm and I spent many hours of my youth knocking the ball around - definitely a major part of my coming of age in that community. But even up there, people don't play nearly as much as in years past. The table gets plenty of use during potluck suppers but it's been years since I've played a game on it. It was nice to get in a few games last night.

I also played on a Wii for the first time last night. I know, I'm a dinosaur. It took me a bit to get used to the controls but I got reasonably comfortable after a while. I started with golf. I was horrendous in the beginning but birdied the last three holes. 3-point-shooting didn't go so well. Sword fighting brought mixed results. There was some Rock Band at the end of the evening, too.

I don't know about watching the Super Bowl this evening. I'm not a big fan of either team, though I'll admit to being partial to the Packers in tonight's tilt. It would take a lot for me to ever root for the Steelers. I will need to do some shoveling at some point today.

No comments:

Post a Comment