|via Disney Wiki|
My Recent Reads
Uncanny X-Men #112
Originally Published August 1, 1978
Writer: Chris Claremont
Artist: John Byrne
- The X-Men do battle with Magneto in a carnival trailer as said trailer flies to Antarctica where Magneto has a secret base under a volcano.
- Magneto wins, confining our heroes in a powerless state.
Uncanny X-Men #113
September 1, 1978 (note the switch to monthly release; the series is doing well)
- The X-Men manage to break free from Magneto, though only Jean and the Beast appear to have survived the ensuing melee.
- Some fun background on Storm from her days learning to pick locks as an orphaned child in Cairo.
Uncanny X-Men #114
October 1, 1978
- Ah, but the others have survived! Though they have no idea where Magneto is or whether or not he even survived the destruction of his base (he did).
- Cyclops and company tunnel their way to the Savage Land, a mysterious tropical sanctuary - still in Antarctica - where prehistoric creatures run wild. Apparently Scott knows all about it. There, they encounter the friendly Fall People.
- Unfortunately, this is no vacation. Storm is attacked by a seeming human who absorbs her life energy to become a pterodactyl called Sauron (quite different from the Middle Earth Sauron).
- Meanwhile, Jean and the Beast are rescued and returned to Westchester where they break the news to Charles that they believe the rest of the X-Men have perished.
- The artwork has definitely been upgraded since Byrne came on board. We're seeing full-page and even double-page panels of a quality I haven't seen in this journey since Jack Kirby's best Fantastic Four work. The stories have improved, too, demonstrating once again that the artist matters in this medium
Uncanny X-Men #115
November 1, 1978
- The X-Men battle Sauron who, once defeated, reverts back to his human form, known as Karl Lykos.
- Before Wolverine can finish off Sauron, Ka-Zar and Zabu (he's the cat) show up, claiming Lykos is their friend. We're all buddies now.
- Lykos tells a tale of witnessing the transformation of a man into the living embodiment of the deity Garokk. Since then, Garokk and his minions have built a city within the Savage Land which threatens the survival of all.
- Ka-Zar and Lykos ask for the X-Men's help. At least for the moment, our friends decline.
Uncanny X-Men #116
December 1, 1978
- At the end of the last issue, a snowstorm had hit the Savage Land. Ka-Zar emphasized to the X-Men that the Savage Land could never survive the full brunt of an Antarctic winter so they agree to stick around.
- Cyclops, Colossus, Banshee and Ka-Zar are captured by Garokk's pterodactyl riders.
- Wolverine sends Zabu back to the Fall People village to get help while he, Storm and Nightcrawler head for Garokk's citadel to rescue their friends.
- Garokk is defeated and his city destroyed. He is presumed dead, though not for lack of Storm trying to save him at the last moment.