Sunday, December 22, 2013

Family Movie Night: The Philadelphia Story

Title: The Philadelphia Story
Director: George Cukor
Original Release: 1940
Choice: My Wife's
My Overall Rating: 5 stars out of 5
via Wikipedia
I have three favorite movies: The Empire Strikes Back, The Usual Suspects and The Philadelphia Story.  Apart from my great affection for them, the three have very little in common. They represent different decades, different genres and very different parts of my own life.  ESB is my childhood.  The Usual Suspects is my first year out of college.  I watched The Philadelphia Story for the first time on my second date with My Wife and it has been "our movie" ever since.  We watch it every year in December.

The story, I have to admit, is very silly.  Tracy Lord, a Philadelphia aristocrat played by Katharine Hepburn, is getting married.  Unfortunately, her ex-husband (Cary Grant) has just turned up with a tabloid journalist (Jimmy Stewart) and photographer (Ruth Hussey) in tow.  The family has to let them stay because there's a dirty blackmail threat aimed at Tracy's philandering father.  While Tracy is certainly a strong female character, the sexual politics of the story are frequently obnoxious.

Not much of a sell.  What's so great about the movie, Squid?

The writing.  Oh my lord, the writing!  The Philadelphia Story is one of those films with dialogue that trips off the tongue and floats across the screen.  A small sampling:

Mike (Stewart): Doggone it, C.K. Dexter Haven. Either I'm gonna sock you or you're gonna sock me.
C.K. (Grant):  Shall we toss a coin?

***

Tracy: Thank you, Mike. I think men are wonderful.
Liz (Hussey): The little dears.

***

Tracy: South Bend, it sounds almost like dancing.

***

Liz: Wouldn't you know you'd have to be rich as the Lords to live in a dump like this?

The cast is rock solid, top to bottom.  Hepburn, Grant and Stewart are all in top form and Hussey (my favorite) ably matches the heavyweights swing for swing.  Stewart won his only Oscar for his role.  The screenwriter, Donald Ogden Stewart, also won, adapting Philip Barry's stage play of the same name.  Hepburn and Hussey were both nominated.

Multi-generational considerations:
  • I'm pretty sure Our Girl doesn't like the movie.  She never comes out and says that because I think she realizes how much we like it but she tends to squirm when we watch.  I expect most of the humor goes over her head but we're hopeful she'll learn to love it in time.

18 comments:

  1. This is a movie that I absolutely love! I remember the first time I saw it, too...I had rented the DVD, and watched the movie on my laptop, all by myself. It's just, perfection. Like you said, the writing! And the actors were more than up to the task, their delivery was perfect...my favorite was Cary Grant.
    It's time for me to watch it again, I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Usual Suspects is one I saw by myself, not just the first time but the first several times I watched it.

      The acting in TPS really is superb. I've seen snippets of High Society, the musical based on TPS, and it's just not the same. A lot of the dialogue is intact but Bing Crosby as CK? No way.

      Delete
  2. We watched White Christmas yesterday (to return to thoughts on a previous entry). I think I'm beginning to think of that one the way you do this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going against the trend here but just an OK movie for me. I was younger when I saw it so who knows how I would feel if I watched it again.
    But I agree a favorite movie is like comfort food !

    Merry Merry
    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend you give it another try - goes very nicely with a bottle of champagne, split with a friend.

      Delete
  4. One of my favorites a I comented before.
    So is Red Yar? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe I've never seen this movie. If it ranks up there with Empire then I've got to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Silly stores can be fun. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't seen this one, but my wife introduced me to Grant and Hepburn in "Bringing Up Baby," and we both adore it. (Though I've got to say that the chemistry between the two is nowhere near what she had on-screen with Spencer Tracy... for obvious reasons.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hepburn (for obvious reasons) wanted Tracy in Grant's role for TPS. I'm sure it would have been fine but I have a hard time imagining it. The chemistry between Grant and Hepburn is one thing. That between Grant and Stewart is also quite special.

      "Bringing Up Baby" is way funnier, especially in the beginning. TPS is a bit more graceful.

      Delete
  8. I haven't watched this movie in years (I saw it in a film comedy class I took in college), but you've made me want to see it again. What a treat to have Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart in the same film!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are wonderful together, too - seamless comic timing.

      Delete
  9. By the way, my favorite Cary Grant film of all times is "His Girl Friday". Have you seen it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. My wife loves that one, especially the Ralph Bellamy line.

      Delete