Friday, May 1, 2015

Mock Squid Soup: May Trivia Teaser



Today, as an added treat for this month's edition of Mock Squid Soup, all society members are invited to post three hints about their film choice for the month.  All are welcome to guess, of course.  Here are the three clues for my movie:

- The director has directed over 20 movies from a variety of genres.  Perhaps his most enduring films are a couple of musicals from the early 1970s.  This, however, is not a musical from the early '70s.

- One of the actors was in the midst of a career transition from television to film.  While he wasn't quite there yet, in a few years, he would become one of the biggest stars in Hollywood.  He wouldn't work with the director again until 14 years later.  But when he did, he was nominated for an Oscar.

- The film's score composer is a jazz titan.  After dropping out of a fine liberal arts college in rural Iowa, he caught on with the Miles Davis Quintet in the 1960s.  Over time, he became one of the world's premier electronic jazz musicians.

Any guesses?  Society reviews will be posted next Friday, May 8th.  See you then.  Meanwhile, please visit my fellow cinephiles today:


24 comments:

  1. Can't guess right now. Only 10:30, perhaps later --Round Midnight, say?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, 2nd guessing myself at 11:30. Figured Herbie Hancock was the key here but doubt he dropped out of any college. So, I'll be thrilled when somebody gets it. Will not 3rd guess self. Fun post!

      Delete
    2. Nice guess on the film but not quite. You got the right composer, though. He did drop out. Walter Koenig went to the same school, but he transferred to UCLA

      Delete
  2. I guessed the composer correctly, but visiting IMDB didn't help me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping the second clue might catch a few guesses but perhaps not.

      Delete
  3. You stumped me! Herbie Hancock comes into my mind but that's it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and when I joined here did I actually spell my own name wrong? If I did..I feel like an idiot and if not, easy mistake with my name. I am hoping it can be corrected

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry! Totally my fault. When I copied everything over onto the new Linky Tools list, I misspelled it. Now I know better.

      Delete
  5. Ooh this sounds like a good film so I won't look it up in Goggle so I can be surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An actor popped into mind and I broke out laughing and crying at the same time.
    I hope it is not who i think.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laughing and crying? I can think of a few who might inspire that but probably not this guy.

      Delete
  7. Tom Cruise !
    He has ruined so many movies for me.
    One trip to Japan we were on a tour to the Emperors Palace and the guide was gushing about Tom Cruise/ The Last Samurai. I had to bite my lip to keep from saying anything. The movie although very wrong in parts was fine but I only could watch it for short bursts.
    Tom Cruise is so awful he makes my teeth itch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not Tom Cruise. I was hoping TV to film might provide a clue for some.

      Delete
  8. I'm going to go way out into left field here and guess Death Wish. The only reason I'm guessing that is because IMDB told me Herbie composed for it and I had a bet a few years back about one of Jeff Goldblum's early roles. He's totally in that movie, but he's a far cry from the talented man most of us know now...So go ahead and laugh. I had to give it a shot.
    This is fun; I hope we do this again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not Death Wish and not Goldblum...

      I've enjoyed this, too. Definitely up for doing it again.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  10. I am being driven nuts....and I haven't gone to everyone else yet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got it! I got it! I got it! I got it!!! But Nan and I had to do some "research".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had to soldier on to figure it out! I'll share the story with you soon!

      Delete