Monday, January 2, 2017

On the Coffee Table: An Alphabet for Gourmets

Title: An Alphabet for Gourmets
Author: M.F.K. Fisher
via Amazon
Long before the A to Z bloghop was a thing, M.F.K. Fisher created an alphabetized collection of essays, each devoted to an aspect of the eating experience: "A is for dining Alone," "D is for Dining out," "G is for Gluttony," etc.  Her writing is as witty and sensual as ever.  "W is for Wanton" is my favorite chapter.  What begins as a discussion of food used to seduce a lover becomes a much funnier exploration of how to construct a meal to unseduce - how to cool the jets, essentially.

With this book, I have now reached the end of Fisher's The Art of Eating collection.  My previous posts about the series can be found here, here, here and here.  All of the books are good.  Serve It Forth and The Gastronomical Me are my favorites among the five.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun and interesting read! My first time hearing of it, so thanks for sharing. :)

    Happy 2017!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's fun. Not her best work, in my opinion, but still good value.

      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like the making a of writing, blogging, and or cooking challenge. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about doing something along those lines with it - maybe someday.

      Delete