Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Bitters of the Month: Mint


The first thing one notices about Fee Brothers Mint Bitters is the color - an intense green, perhaps even green enough to be of use in recreating Aldebaran whiskey.  The flavor itself is rather toothpastey.

This one could be a tough sell with my wife.  She loves mint, as in the real thing - artificial mint flavors decidedly less so.  I've long had a thought to create a cocktail based on Girl Scout Thin Mints and mint bitters may indeed have a meaningful role to play.  But again, my wife may take some convincing to try it.  Stay tuned.

I have wondered about the possibility of using bitters for something other than cocktails and mint might be a good candidate for adding a hint to something.  I did try adding it to some mint tea.  I'm not sure if it did much to enhance the flavor.  A blind test would be needed to tell, I think.  But it certainly didn't do any harm.

4 comments:

  1. I never knew there were so many different varieties of bitters. Mint seems best to get from the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. And my wife certainly would. But it still might be just the thing at some point.

      Delete
  2. I don’t even know where to find bitters but I like this bottle. Bright. You are reminding me of my brother who has a Facebook page called “Life of Baron”. He talks about his walks, his chicken wing challenge but he is now discussing beers.

    ReplyDelete