Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Squid Mixes: Doctor Cottom

My wife got the idea off of Twitter, courtesy of Professor Tressi McMillan Cottom: combine jam with bourbon.  Obviously, we have to try it.  Cottom's recommendation:

2 oz bourbon
1 heaping tsp jam/preserves

Stir to combine, then shake and serve.  I grabbed rye from the cabinet instead of bourbon - accident or subconscious preference? - and we used strawberry jam because it was open.  It's very nice.

Only one problem: she didn't name the drink!  So, professor, I name it after you, Doctor Cottom.


Bitters of the Month

We tried this month's bitters, Bittermens Boston Bittahs, in Manhattans in place of Angostura.  I couldn't really taste the bitters against the other ingredients but my wife said she could.  She is a supertaster and I am not so she's likely to pick up hints that I'm not.

Otherwise, we both thought it was fine, though certainly not superior to Angostura.

4 comments:

  1. hmm... Interesting. We actually do a lot of strawberries and rum in the summer, because you can make great sangria with strawberry rum (and it only needs a few hours to sit for the rum to really take the strawberry flavor (makes great strawberry daiquiris, too!)), but I hadn't thought to use jam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds nice. Rum always goes well with fruity sweetness.

      Delete
  2. This is an interesting idea... But I might only use jam I made, verses store brought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Homemade jam would undoubtedly be the best option.

      Delete