Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Squid Games: Can't Stop


Be forewarned, Can't Stop is the most addictive tabletop game I have ever played.  The name is 100% appropriate.

Can't Stop is a race game.  2-4 players strive to move their pawns from one end of a board to the other according to the rolls of four dice.  You can keep rolling as long as you like if you can keep moving.  However, if you ever have a roll you can't use, you lose all of your progress for that turn.  The concept is so simple.  The best ideas usually are.

I've been playing Can't Stop for a few years now.  It is by far my most played game on Board Game Arena and for which, at least at the moment, I have the highest rating.  Its appeal is potent.  My wife was ready to buy it after trying it once.  One grasps strategy over time but the best plan unravels quickly if your opponent is rolling better than you are.

I recently introduced the game to two friends, GerMAN and a longtime, much valued colleague I shall call The Pilgrim.  The Pilgrim and I were roommates on a trip to England once upon a time.  He wanted to see everything!  They both enjoyed the game.  I won this time, benefiting from my experience and their beginner's caution.  They seemed eager to play again some time.  It's not a great game for chatting.  You play or you chat.  Can't Stop is way too distracting to do both.

Obviously, highest recommendation from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment