Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Squid Mixes: Empress Martini


I got my Empress Martini recipe from the Empress Gin website.  It combines Empress 1908 Gin with Lillet Blanc.  The recipe suggests a grapefruit twist garnish.  Not having a grapefruit on hand, we went without.

My wife has a puzzling attitude towards martinis.  She requested this drink.  In fact, I generally only make martinis - or really any cocktails - at her request.  And yet, she doesn't actually like martinis, describing them as "a chore to drink."  She feels she should like them, even though she doesn't really.  This one was alright, she said.  I feel a touch of citrus helps a lot with gin so the Lillet's a winner.  As standard practice, I add orange bitters to a martini.  I didn't this time but see no reason not to should I make an Empress Martini again.

The trouble is, I'm deeply curious about dirty martinis at the moment.  I've liked them quite a lot when I've had them in restaurants or bars.  I might just have to make one for myself sometime.

4 comments:

  1. What gives it this purple tint? I think the word martini is thrown around too loosely a d all they are, are cocktails. I am wondering what a dirty martini is as well. I've hard it before but wondered what makes it dirty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The indigo color comes from butterfly pea blossom.

      I'm with you on the overuse of the word martini but as long as it has gin, dry vermouth and an olive, I say it counts as genuine. And the Empress is a real gin, made with comparable botanicals to what you'd see in a standard iteration. It's only the color that's funky.

      A dirty martini includes a splash of olive brine. More on that next week.

      Delete