Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Squid Mixes: Corpse Reviver No. 1


A Corpse Reviver No. 1 combines cognac, calvados and sweet vermouth.  I got my recipe from The Joy of Mixology by Gary Regan.  Regan adapted his from The Savoy Cocktail Book by Harry Craddock.  It's a pleasant drink, though my wife described it as a little cough syrupy.  The apple in the calvados popped out nicely as I was stirring in the glass but was less prominent in the final flavor.  

Corpse Revivers are eye openers, essentially hangover cures.  Hangover symptoms result from alcohol withdrawal so in reality, any alcoholic beverage would suffice.  I've never been clear on what makes certain drinks especially good for the job.  Perhaps because it's on the sweeter side, thus more breakfasty?  For the record, we drank ours at 4 pm, no hangovers involved.

Yes, there is a #2 in both Regan's and Craddock's books.  In fact, I featured David Lebovitz's interpretation here.  Online, I have found recipes for Corpse Revivers #3-13.

No comments:

Post a Comment