Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Family Adventures: Lickety Split at MASS MoCA


Lickety Split is the in-house restaurant at MASS MoCA (Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art) in North Adams, Massachusetts.  We each got the BLT with extra avocado, a lovely sandwich.  Lickety Split has fun beverage options, too.  That bright red drink is my wife's hibiscus lemonade.  As with all museum food, it's overpriced ("I paid $20 for that s***?" exclaimed the teenager on a field trip at the next table).  But that's the cost of convenience.

As discussed last week, MASS MoCA is the largest contemporary art museum in the United States.  The buildings themselves, reclaimed from the long defunct Arnold Print Works plant, are an exhibit unto themselves.  As a family, we have grown fond of contemporary art museums over the years - beyond MASS MoCA, the Hirshhorn is our favorite at the Smithsonian.  Such museums always have something new and unusual.  The big hits right now at MASS MoCA are two virtual reality works by multi-media artist Laurie Anderson - definitely worth your time if you're in the area.

We already have our next trip planned for this summer.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not one for modern art but that doesn't mean I would not go. Some are pretty cool while other art pieces are just...stupid. sorry but yes, I said it. I love that teen because he is right. It's so overpriced I'm glad you both had a nice time out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Modern art was always a relatively easy sell with our child from a young age. Modern art is weird. Kids dig weird. At least ours did!

      Delete
  2. The museum sounds interesting. I've been to modern art museums in NYC and Buffalo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never visited Buffalo at all. I do have an old friend who lives there...

      Delete