Friday, January 1, 2010

Bowl Season: Happy New Year

Happy New Year to all! May 2010 and indeed the new decade bring good things.

In as much as football can be elegant, the traditional January 1st bowls are. Back when I first started paying attention, it was still just the big four on New Year's Day: Cotton, Rose, Sugar and Orange. The Rose Bowl is a particularly significant one in my family as my father marched with his high school band in the parade in 1959. Even my sister, who grew up hating sports with a passion equal to my enthusiasm for them, thinks the parade is great and was actually thinking of going this year (she lives in LA County).

During our holiday travels, I didn't get to watch much except to check scores from time to time. I am, however, doing well in the pick-em group at the moment. I'm in first place but everyone's about to take a big bite out of the margin. I was the only one who picked Cincinnati in the Sugar and it's pretty clear at halftime that the Bearcats are toast. Fortunately, I only risked one confidence point.

I commend Brent Musberger, not usually my favorite, for complimenting the camera and tech crews during a play review in the Rose Bowl. There is loads of downtime in football and it was nice to hear the on-air talent using the time to recognize the people who do the heavy lifting in the television industry.

I got some good quality time with The Washington Post while visiting my parents. Growing up, every day started with the Post over breakfast. My sports sensibilities were influenced as much by Thomas Boswell, Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon as anything else. Newspapers will never compete with the Internet for immediacy but it was a treat to be reminded of what a luxury a well-written paper can be.

In other news, Vernon Davis (TE, San Francisco), the season MVP for my fantasy league team, is going to his first Pro Bowl as the NFC's starting tight end. Two of my quarterbacks are going, too: Philip Rivers (San Diego) and Drew Brees (New Orleans). DeAngelo Williams (RB, Carolina), my first round draft pick whom I ultimately had to trade away, is going. My defensive units also included Pro Bowlers: Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis, both Indianapolis defensive ends. I suppose I can also claim the AFC's special teamer, Kassim Osgood (WR, San Diego).

I also finished Andre Agassi's new book, Open. A review will soon follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment