Sunday, January 23, 2011

Australian Open Day 7: Sevastova

Curtain Call

Player: Anastasija Sevastova
Age: 20
Nation: Latvia
Current Ranking: 46
Notable Conquest: Yanina Wickmayer (21st seed, Belgium)
Today's Result: loss to Caroline Wozniacki (1st, Denmark) in straight sets


Photo via Tennis Earth Bet

Sevastova lost today but I like the way she plays so fearlessly. She did not seem overawed by the moment at all. She even tends to smile during tense moments. She made some great shots but simply lost to the better player. I see big potential here.

Halfway through the event, it's pretty smooth sailing so far on the men's side. The top 7 seeds are all alive and well. The seas have been rougher for the women with only the top 3 still in action. I see no reason to abandon my initial pick of Djokovic though it won't be easy with all of the big guns still in the mix. I didn't make a pick for the women in the beginning so I'll just go with my rooting interest: Schiavone all the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment