Sunday, June 9, 2013

Family Movie Night: Chops

Title: Chops
Director: Bruce Broder
Original Release: 2007
Choice: Mine
My Overall Rating: 5 stars out of 5
Image via MIAJE

Every year, the best high school jazz bands in the United States send audition recordings to Lincoln Center in New York in hopes of being invited to the Essentially Ellington Festival.  Chops, a documentary directed by Bruce Broder, chronicles the adventures of one such band in its quest for the first place trophy.  Douglas Anderson School of the Arts in Jacksonville, Florida is one of the top performing arts high schools in the country.  At the outset of the film, the school's jazz band had been invited to the festival two years before but had not placed in the top three.

That's the plot, which is satisfying enough in an inspiring sports movie kind of way.  That's not why you need to see this film.  The talent of the students will blow...your...mind!  We meet two of the Douglas Anderson students while they're still in middle school and you will not believe what these 13-year-old kids can do. 



Do you like being inspired?  Do you love jazz?  Do you believe in the importance of arts education?  Look no further.  Chops is your movie.  Part of me feels I should share this with students but I know I'd be heartbroken if they don't like it. 

"When you love the music, you take risks."  Amen.

9 comments:

  1. 5 out of 5 stars! Don't think we've seen this since 'West Side Story?'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just did a quick scan - Fellowship of the Ring and Return of the King are both 5s.

      This one's a must-see and it's all about the music. It's just scary how good these bands are. In terms of filmmaking, I'm sure there are elements that could be better but it's a wonderful example of building a great story upon a very simple concept. We've seen a few good jazz docs this year - "Great Day in Harlem" and "Savoy King" - but this one was definitely the best.

      Delete
    2. Our house is filled with musicians of varying degrees of experience, commitment and passion. We will definitely look into it.

      So, hey, um, Two Towers? :)

      Delete
    3. Yes, I'm sure I'll do Two Towers eventually. It's certain to come up in the rotation at some point.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh! I'd never heard of this and I'm so glad you reviewed it. I have a budding musician at home, she will love this. Although clarinet is weirdly excluded from most school jazz bands, so I don't know if we'll see much of that particular instrument in this movie ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Steph! This would be perfect for her!

      Delete
    2. Clarinets are actually featured quite prominently! The clarinetist from Douglas Anderson is really good. I mean, they're all really good. But as I said to my wife at the end, he's just sickening!

      The bands all have to play off of original Ellington charts and Ellington loved clarinet solos.

      Delete
  3. I'll have to watch this. Thanks for writing about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will. I'd be delighted to know your thoughts if you do.

      Delete