Friday, November 18, 2016

Squid Eats: Pho K&K

Pho K&K is a relatively new Vietnamese restaurant in Williston, Vermont, opening just a couple years ago.  We have been three times recently.  I've gotten a different main dish each time and always been thoroughly satisfied.  As Southeast Asian cuisines go, I prefer Thai (see here) but Vietnamese makes for a nice change of pace from time to time.  Vietnamese food packs loads of flavor, yet somehow manages to feel lighter than Thai food.
via TripAdvisor
We went with the Mocks on our most recent visit, just before we all went to see Doctor Strange (5 stars from me: easily Marvel's best so far).  I started my meal with one of their wonderful mango smoothies.  For my entree, I had Bun Thit Nuong Cha Gio, crispy spring roll and grilled chicken (or pork) served over rice vemicelli.  I meant to take a photo but... I was quite hungry.  Needless to say, it was scrumptious.

8 comments:

  1. You have ordered one of my favorite dishes ! I like the pork.
    I know what you mean by lighter but I think Vietnamese food uses less oil ?Thai can get a bit mucky.
    I am drooling over your photo so beautiful.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, but it is such a delicious mucky!

      I also associate Vietnamese food with that distinctive lemongrass tang. The Thai use lemongrass, too, but in my experience, the Vietnamese feature it more prominently.

      Delete
  2. It seems to me you guys know how to live with a double helping for the evening! You've got interesting thai food here and for openers the coolest of them all, Dr Strange. I'm not surprised you gave the movie 5 stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pairing film and food is a big family hobby. For my wife, our family movie nights have become a "Dinner and a Movie" thread on Instagram.

      Dr. Strange was definitely a step up for the whole franchise. Cumberbatch, Swinton and Ejiofor represent a significant acting upgrade and the visuals... well... I think this is where Marvel could start winning some Oscars.

      Delete
  3. I do not think I have ever had any Vietnamese food- but these pictures have my mouth watering. Sounds like you guys have found a great restaurant. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's actually a decent-sized Vietnamese population in Burlington, deep into its second generation at this point. So there are quite a few restaurants around. Believe it or not, St. Paul, Minnesota is a great town for Vietnamese.

      Delete
  4. We have a placed called Pho 79 where I live and I quite enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete