Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Squid Mixes: Horse's Neck

This one is seemingly all about the garnish, a long strip of peel from a single lemon, the end draped over the rim.  The drink itself is basically a highball: blended whiskey, ginger ale, Angostura bitters. Quite tasty, though the garnish is too much work.  In pictures I've seen, the strip is longer and thinner.  With practice, I'm sure I could learn but it doesn't seem worth it.  My recipe was from The New York Bartender's Guide.

The drink dates back to at least 1890.  Originally, it was a non-alcoholic beverage.  Brandy or bourbon was added by the 1910s. 

10 comments:

  1. We're making our own liquors at the moment. Well, mostly my wife is doing it. We have a ginger one that has finished and is -really- good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to think of a good mixer for it. How about black cherry soda? Rye whiskey would work, too.

      Delete
    2. I'll let you know what we do with it. So far, it's just been straight because it's that good.

      Delete
  2. Gosh, I wish I could be at your place and just sit on a bar stool at your kitchen and try all these drinks...and then. Fall off the bar stool and drag myself to the nearest bathroom:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again, I think we need a bloggers' virtual happy hour someday.

      Delete
  3. You and my sons should get together and talk drinks. The Arizona son loves mixed drinks but rarely get to make them. I can not drink.
    Japanese son was a part time bartender in an Irish Bar in Nishinomiya.
    great fun !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bartending is challenging work. I don't think I could do it, though it is a most enjoyable hobby. Good for him!

      Delete