Friday, September 7, 2018

A Window Above: Diguedin

Song: "Diguedin"
Traditional Quebcois folk song
Perfomers: Les Charbonniers de l'Enfer

The Canadaphilia I have experienced over the past several years most definitely extends to music.  In particular, I have grown quite fond of Quebecois folk music, known as chansons.  The songs date back centuries, some of them probably back to France, though the style is different from that of the Acadians in Nova Scotia and the Cajuns in Louisiana.  Les Charbonniers de l'Enfer is one of many groups to have inspired renewed enthusiasm for Quebecois chansons, Le Vent du Nord probably the most prominent these days.  I prefer the more traditional, a cappella performance style.



Want to hear all of the songs I have featured in a convenient playlist?

Enjoy: A Window Above

What are you listening to these days?


10 comments:

  1. I have spotify on my phone - finally I can listen in! I do love a bit of folk music, imagine I'll get along with chansons :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was wonderful. One of my favorite acceppla artists is Peter Hollens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know Peter Hollens. I'll have to check him out. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. This was fun to listen to which is much nicer than the barbershop quartet style. I love that this man can sing and keep a beat with his feet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love me some barbershop but I realize it's not for everyone.

      Delete
  4. Very catchy! I like it and it's new to me, so thanks for the introduction. I listen to all kinds of music. I am in a bit of an oldies/big band phase right now. :)

    Also, you won a copy of Bubba and Squirt's Big Dig to China on our blog. Stop by to find out the details- or you can send me an email with your address at: haightjess at gmail dot com. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting! Didn't even realize I'd entered. I'll email you.

      Delete
  5. This is new to me, but it's a nice sound. Not sure I'll be adding it to my song list, but it was fun to discover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, chansons were a Pandora discovery for me and I'm not even entirely sure how they first came to my station. Choral music maybe? There is one song, "J'Entends le Moulin," which has become rather popular in the choral rep so that may have been it.

      However it was, they didn't grab me right away, either. But I definitely learned to enjoy them quite a lot.

      Delete