Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Squid Mixes: Trinidad Sour

 
A Trinidad Sour is an unusual cocktail for the fact that it uses the bitters as the base liquor.  Bitters are, after all, potently alcoholic: 44.7% in the case of Angostura.  However, the flavor is so intense that a little bit is usually plenty.  Invented by Giuseppe Gonzalez, bartender at Brooklyn's Clover Club at the time, the Trinidad Sour calls for a full 1.5 oz of Angostura bitters.  For reference, that's approximately 16 times what I typically put in a Manhattan and I love my bitters!  Even the Gin and Bitters from last week only uses a teaspoon.  For that matter, there are only 4 ounces in a standard bottle, usually enough to last a hobbyist years.  The recipe I found on Punch also includes orgeat syrup, lemon juice and rye whiskey.

"Wow!" was my wife's initial, wide-eyed reaction.  It's definitely interesting - a bit chewy in texture, I would say.  There's an awful lot of flavors going on.  The bitters are strong and the almond, lemon and rye aren't exactly shy either.  I don't know if I'd want one again.  A major aspect of this hobby is ingredient management and that's an awful lot of bitters to devote to one drink.  My wife, though?  She was impressed, so maybe.  If so, we might need to start buying Angostura two bottles at a time.


Squid on the Vine

Our most recent wine class was an Old Country-New Country comparison.  The four bottles up for examination: 

Vincent Mothe, Chablis Chardonnay 2017
Pale
Medium+ aroma, ripe pear.
Off-dry, a little sour.
My rating: 8.0

Presqu'ile Winery, Presqu'ile Vineyard Chardonnay 2018
My rating: 8.0

Bruno Colin, Bourgogne Pinot Noir 2016
Medium color, chubby legs
Delicate, buttery, cat pee aroma
Dry
My rating: 8.0

Failla, Floodgate Vineyard Pinot Noir 2018
Medium color, chubby legs
Less delicate aroma than the Burgundy
Dry
High acidity
My rating: 8.0

I'm ready for more surgical strikes with wine, to pursue the varieties I prefer: Alsatian rielsings an vinho verdes for the whites along with the spicier reds.

8 comments:

  1. I think I'm probably going to skip this one.
    At least for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I wouldn't expect otherwise. You'd better be sure about your bitters for this one!

      Delete
  2. Sounds very interesting and it looks wonderful !
    parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite a stunning color - a bit murky, though.

      Delete
  3. I like the sound of that - it's got a wow factor :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's a lot of bitters, but I think this sounds intriguing.

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete