Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Squid Mixes: Martinez


A Martinez combines gin, sweet vermouth, maraschino cherry liqueur and orange bitters with a lemon twist garnish.  I got my recipe from Make Me a Cocktail.  I found it for my orange bitters exploration this month.  It's a pleasant beverage.  My wife found it Campari-like and perhaps that comes from the bitters.  Interestingly, it's the maraschino liqueur that carries the day in terms of flavor - interesting in that the drink only calls for a bar-spoonful.

Another meaningful observation: I find my preferred cocktail, the Manhattan, has a rather wheaty aftertaste, kind of like toast.  I've always assumed it comes from the whiskey as it is made with grain.  However, I found the same aftertaste in the Martinez, leading me to believe that the vermouth may, in fact, be the culprit.


Squid on the Vine

Di Giovanna, Riserva Naturale Monte Genuardo Bianco 2018
Apple nose
A little chocolate taste, odd for a white
My rating: 8.3

6 comments:

  1. I've got all eight series of Magnum. Its not unknown for Magnum to sneak around R.M. estate and break into the cellar where Higgins keeps all the wine stashed under lock and key. Funny to watch because it gets better when the alarm and tear gas are set off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try this recipe now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Martinez sounds good! I love a dirty Tanqueray martini straight up, very cold, with 3 olives. :) ~ Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're not so big on martinis. Though they are such a classic, I feel obligated to toy around with them at least a little. I think I would probably like dirty best - love olives.

      Delete