Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Squid Eats: Deep City

Commish and Wild Turkey are college friends of mine.  I've written about them here many times before - most often in the context of fantasy football - but it's been a while.  In fact, it's been a while since we've seen both of them and their two children all together.  COVID played a role in that, of course.  They are particularly important college friends as they introduced me to my wife.  Their last appearance in The Squid was in this post.  

As they were all passing through Burlington one August Saturday, we met them for brunch at Deep City, not far from Lake Champlain.  We'd never been before so it was a new adventure for all of us.  For me, biscuits and gravy are an obligatory order if they're on the menu.  Wild Turkey let me try her Brioche Crispy French Toast, too.  All were lovely, though the french toast would have been too sweet for a full order for me.  Service was friendly and efficient.  I'm always impressed when a waitress can smoothly handle a large party with multiple kids of varying ages. 

Mostly it was a wonderful chance to catch up.  Obviously, we all dread the idea of growing up to become our parents but it's delightful when you see it happening to the children of your friends.  Both of their kids are clearly heirs to their parents' charming sense of humor.  As our child was just a few days away from leaving for college, their oldest was just in the early stages of the search.  I love the college search so I had tremendous fun hearing about their preferences.

A lovely brunch all around.  Hopefully, we'll see them again before too long.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great time catching up. Interesting to think that we don't want to turn into our parents, but I do appreciate seeing my friend's kids turn into them. I hadn't thought about that before! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we saw them more often. It's fun to see them growing up.

      Delete