Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Squid Eats: Filos Greek Taverna


Filos Greek Taverna in Northampton, Massachusetts has a wide variety of offerings: the souvlaki and gyros you'd expect from a Greek restaurant but also brick oven pizza and, at least according to a 2017 poll, the best french fries in the state.  I got my standard Greek lunch order: a chicken souvlaki wrap.  It was alright - good but nothing to write home about.  I expect we'll be back, though, and if we do, I'll want to explore the french fry (they have poutine!) and pizza offerings.  Plus, they have a galaktobukero for dessert.  I'm a sucker for anything with phyllo dough.

For me, every Greek restaurant competes with one that went out of business about 27 years ago: The Grand Cafe in St. Paul, Minnesota.  My mouth still waters when I think of their chicken souvlaki wrap.  No one since has quite compared.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yeah, it was alright. Maybe a little more saltiness. At Grand Cafe, it was their salad dressing which then found its way into everything else. Yum!

      Delete