Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Squid Mixes: Emergency Protocol 417

An Emergency Protocol 417 (EP 417) is essentially a 1:1, gin to dry vermouth martini.  I got my recipe from The Geeky Chef Drinks by Cassandra Reeder.  Reeder was inspired by a Doctor Who episode in which Captain Jack Harkness commands his ship's computer to initiate "Emergency Protocol 417" which turns out to be a vermouth-heavy martini.

Interestingly, we'd just been discussing 50/50 martinis, an idea my wife got from David Lebovitz's podcast so it was funny to find a recipe for one.  It's a good choice for anyone who's martini-curious but gin-shy.  However, I question whether it can still be called a martini with such proportions.  Thus, I like the EP 417 name.  

I enjoyed the drink, especially when it got down to the dregs and the olive juice became more prominent.  As such, dirty martini experiments may be in our near future.

One similarity with a standard martini: the EP 417 goes nicely with oysters.


2 comments:

  1. That's a lot of vermouth, but if it goes well with oysters...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot of vermouth and I'm not 100% decided on my feelings about that. I'm not a huge gin fan but I think my ideal balance would shift more in gin's favor.

      Delete