Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Squid Mixes: Le Gascon


Le Gascon combines Armagnac, Grand Marnier (or Cointreau), lemon juice and orange juice with an Armagnac-soaked prune for garnish.  I got my recipe from Drinking French by David Lebovitz.

The result was nice - a less citrusy sidecar.  The citrus flavors still dominate, though.  It's not the best drink for appreciating the Armagnac itself.  The prune, however, is good for that.  

Evidently both prunes and Armagnac are popular in Gascony, thus the name of the drink.  As such, my wife said "All for one an one for all" as part of our toast.  I will confess, I didn't know The Three Musketeers were from Gascony.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good way to appreciate a prune (actually, I like them, I remember my grandmother stewing them and they were so good and I'm sure she didn't add any alcohol :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!

      The prunes are quite nice. I'll be interested to see how/if they improve with age in the soaking.

      Delete
  2. Always loved your photos of the drinks, missing the kitty though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife does most of the photography these days. I like her shots, too.

      The cat is not as cooperative as she used to be - she's a cat, after all. I also haven't tried in a while. Maybe I will again soon.

      Delete