Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Squid Games: Glasgow

Glasgow is a two-player, tile placing, resource management game.  You and your opponent move around a circle collecting resources.  Together, you build the city of Glasgow in a 4x5 grid in the middle of the circle: parks, monuments, factories, etc.  Each of your assets generates points to be tallied at the end.  It's tricky because you can also help your opponent depending on what you place where in the grid.

The game is a little bit Catan in the building of assets and gathering or resources.  Movement is similar to Tokaido.  The grid is reminiscent of Patchwork.  My wife and I enjoyed Glasgow, though I don't know if I'd play again.  She won our game.  Her two train stations alone gained her a crushing 20 points, though I think she would have won anyway.

The box says ages 10 and up, though BoardGameGeek rates it at 8+.  Game play is quick: 30 minutes estimated.  BoardGameGeek gives it a complexity rating of 2.7 out of 5.

2 comments:

  1. It's been a while since I played board games, but the fact this is quick is better (Monopoly gets to be too long). How does it resemble the real city of Glasgow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I thought Glasgow might catch your eye.

      The designer, Mandela Fernandez-Grandon, is a Glaswegian, a word I have just learned. The artwork is, I'm assuming, Glasgow-based though I don't know enough about the city to be sure.

      Delete