Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Squid Mixes: Irish Manhattan


An Irish Manhattan combines Irish whiskey, sweet vermouth and Angostura bitters with a lemon twist.  It is, as the name implies, a Manhattan with the rye swapped out for Irish whiskey.  I got my recipe from The Joy of Mixology by Gary Regan.  He used a different name for it, poking fun at his own mentor, Kevin Noone, who took offense at a particular Irish pejorative.  I won't be using it here.

After the Greenpoint, it would seem I have some trust to build back with my wife.  As she was picking up the Irish Manhattan, she asked. "there's nothing else in it right???"  I assured her no.  After tasting, she admitted it was fine, though she still prefers rye.

The drink has strong vanilla notes for me, no doubt derived from the Bushmills.  

Happy Valentines Day!

2 comments:

  1. This drink sounds good, but since the Manhattan is one of the few mixed drinks I've had on many occasions, I guess that's not surprising. I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it. Again, not as good as the original. But pleasant.

      Delete