Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Squid Mixes: Poco Manhattan


As noted in this post, we recently had dinner at Restaurant Poco and sat at the bar, allowing for an intimate view of the cocktail mixing procedures.  For my Manhattan, the bartender used Punt e Mes rather than sweet vermouth.  The result was an intriguing raisin flavor which we were eager to replicate at home.

Punt e Mes is an Italian vermouth currently produced by Fratelli Branca, a split between sweet and dry vermouth.  It's not an even split so the result is not quite a Perfect ManhattanPunt e mes is Piedmontese for one-and-a-half.  The intention is a two-to-one split between sweet and dry vermouth.  

My creation was more bitter than what I remember from the restaurant and less raisiny.  I used a different rye - Ezra Brooks instead of Rittenhouse - which could account for the difference.  And, of course, I don't know what proportions he used.  Nonetheless, we both enjoyed the drink.  My wife is now eager to try the Punt e Mes in a Negroni.  Stay tuned.

My recipe for a Poco Manhattan (serves two):

3 oz. rye
1 oz. Punt e Mes
3 dashes Angostura bitters
Maraschino cherry garnish (the bartender used a lemon twist instead)

Stir with ice.  Strain and serve.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed your drinks, even if the taste was slightly different than what you had at the restaurant. Fun to try to recreate the flavor. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next chapter in the story...

      The liquor store was out of Ezra Brooks rye for my latest visit so I bought George Dickel. Trying this recipe with the Dickel, the raisin flavor came out more. We might need to rethink our rye of choice.

      Delete