Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Squid Mixes: Punt e Mes Negroni


As discussed last week, I recently picked up a bottle of Punt e Mes to try in Manhattans.  After that experiment, my wife expressed a desire to try the 1.5 vermouth in a Negroni as well.  I used Gary Regan's recipe in The Joy of Mixology as the basis for comparison.  His proportions are different from what I've done in the past with a ratio 1:1:1 between gin, Campari and vermouth.  In this post, I used a 4:2:1 ratio.  Importantly, especially for this experiment, it means more vermouth.

I should have done a side by side comparison with the Punt e Mes and sweet vermouth - easy enough to do as with Regan's recipe, you mix in the serving glass.  It's a darker red that what I've seen in Negronis in the past, though that may have as much to do with the proportions as the specific ingredients.  Same goes for flavor.  My wife felt the Punt e Mes balanced the Campari better than a sweet vermouth does.  

Again, should have done it side by side.  Maybe next time.

As Punt e Mes isn't quite a sweet vermouth, I feel the ingredient qualifier is necessary in identifying the drink.  However, the difference isn't enough to give it an entirely new, unique name.  For the record, the recipe:

Punt e Mes Negroni

1.5 oz gin
1.5 oz Punt e Mes
1.5 oz Campari
orange twist for garnish

Mix in the serving glass with ice and serve.

2 comments:

  1. Love that you are trying different ingredients and seeing which work best for you and your wife. If you end up doing a side by side comparison it will be interesting to see if you feel the same. :) ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, experimenting is a huge part of the hobby. I'm happy to share my findings.

      Delete