Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Squid Mixes: Remember the Maine


A Remember the Maine combines rye, sweet vermouth, cherry brandy and absinthe with a lemon twist for garnish.  I got my recipe from The Joy of Mixology by Gary Regan.  The original comes from The Gentleman's Companion by Charles H. Baker.  Evidently, Baker first encountered the drink in Havana.  The name is a reference to the famous battle cry of the Spanish-American War.

Interestingly, the recipe insists on stirring clockwise.  I honestly never gave much thought to which direction I stir though now having tried both ways, I can assert that counter-clockwise is more instinctive for me.  I'm guessing the Cuban bartender who made the cocktail for Charles H. Baker must have been left-handed.  

Despite their relatively low proportion, the cherry and absinthe dominate the flavor.  It's an interesting drink - quite sweet.  

6 comments:

  1. An interesting name for a drink with a good story to go along with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I wish I could find more about the drink acquired this particular name but alas, I could not.

      Delete
  2. All sounds good...except for the dreaded brandy:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the story behind this drink!

    ReplyDelete