Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Squid Mixes: Bourbon Sidecar


In last week's Wednesday post, I explored the idea of a Breakfast Manhattan and suggested the Whiskey Sidecar as a possible alternative.  I got this Bourbon Sidecar recipe combining bourbon, triple sec and lemon juice in 4:2:1 ratio from The New York Bartender's Guide.  I included a cherry garnish.  The recipe doesn't call for it but, well, we like cherries.  The result was definitely sweeter and more citrusy than a Manhattan.  It's tasty but still not quite what I had in mind.

My next attempt was more satisfying, a combination of my own devising:  rye, sweet vermouth and triple sec in 6:1:1 ratio plus orange bitters and a cherry garnish.  I'm still not sure the drink was exactly breakfasty but my wife and I both preferred it to the Sidecar.  Worth remembering.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy and I would love to try both and see which one I prefer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't believe St Patricks day parade is cancelled in New York. I'm definitely gonna need plenty of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite a lot of things are being cancelled...

      An Irish Manhattan, now that's easy: swap out the rye for Irish whisky. We don't have any on hand at the moment. We should do something about that!

      Delete
  3. With everything closed, it might be time to experiment with breakfast drinks. The only drink I've ever had a breakfast was a bloody mary. I generally wait till 5 PM :)

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In truth, I don't like actually drinking at breakfast or even midday. Makes me sleepy. Even communion wine can be an issue, Rev! Even with a breakfasty drink, I prefer it later in the day.

      I love a good bloody mary! I meant to do a bloody mary post last summer but then tomato season didn't quite cooperate. I'll just have to try again this year.

      Delete