Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Squid Mixes: Tenner Martini

A tenner martini combines gin, dry vermouth and grapefruit bitters.  I got my recipe from Difford's Guide.


Generally speaking, we are not martini people.  It's worth noting, though she admitted it was flavorful, my wife didn't finish hers.  However, I have found with this and other recipes that the addition of bitters to a martini helps to take the edge off.  The grapefruit bitters are a particularly exciting addition for the aroma alone, which exploded the instant I added it to the mixing glass.


Vermouth Battles

Noilly Prat vs. Tribuno

Going in, these were our co-champions so a direct face-off was essential.  This time, we agreed.  The Noilly Prat is better.

New Champion: Noilly Prat

8 comments:

  1. I've never had a martini, shaken or stirred, of any kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A martini should always be stirred! James Bond might be good at picking up women but he has a lame drink order.

      Delete
  2. I wonder how it tastes, looks very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I will try...

      Without the bitters, the gin predominates - a woodsy piney flavor. I've often thought that it tastes like bug spray would. The bitters diffuses the sharpness of that flavor. The grapefruit is more of an aromatic impression but there's a touch in the taste experience as well.

      Delete
  3. Good afternoon, how are you? I'm Brazilian and I'm looking for new followers for my blog. New friends are also welcome.

    https://viagenspelobrasilerio.blogspot.com/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a big martini fan, either.

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yet, it seems worthwhile to learn to make a good one.

      Delete