Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Squid Mixes: Bloody Mary


I have written of my love for Bloody Marys several times in a variety of posts, most notably:




However, I have never devoted an entire post to the drink itself.  It's time to set that right.

I used the recipe in The New York Bartender's Guide, though I omitted the horseradish and black pepper.  That still left vodka, tomato juice, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco and salt.  It was not as hot as the Tequila Maria and I must concede that it may have been the horseradish I missed.  Mind you, I would not be opposed to adding more Tabasco to make up the difference.

My wife and I both preferred the tequila to vodka, though identical recipes (apart from the booze), side-by-side would be a more meaningful comparison.  I daresay I'm up for that experiment some day.

A colleague recently alerted me to a Bloody Mary tasting flight served at The Friendly Toast, a local restaurant.  I might have to check that out soon!

10 comments:

  1. I still haven't had one. I need to fix that at some point.

    I'm experimenting with a spicy cherry drink, right now. It's opera inspired. Sort of. Haven't gotten it where I like it, yet, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Opera inspired... I am definitely curious.

      Delete
    2. I haven't gotten it to work yet. :(

      Delete
    3. I bought some dried chipotle peppers (which is redundant, I believe, since they have to be dried to be chipotles?) to make some spicy liqueur with, though I haven't had a chance to get that set up. The liqueur I have isn't the right flavor.

      Delete
    4. That sounds like an interesting experience! I eagerly await the outcome.

      Delete
  2. I often have had bloody Marys for Sunday brunch. I think the horseradish would be a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite my time in Japan, I'm a wimp with horseradish. A nice memory you'll appreciate, though: on a hiking trip, we camped by a stream with wasabi growing in it. The smell was amazing!

      Delete
  3. I would definitely keep the horseradish and black pepper, I like a kick with a Bloody Mary- never tried this with Tequila before though :-)

    ReplyDelete