Friday, December 23, 2022

Star Trek: Timescape

Episode: "Timescape"
Series: Star Trek: The Next Generation
Season 6, Episode 25
Original Air Date: June 14, 1993

via Memory Alpha

While returning from a conference in a runabout, Picard, Troi, La Forge and Data encounter time distortions.  When they get back to the Enterprise, the ship is completely frozen in time - mostly, anyway.  They appear to simultaneously be dealing with a Romulan attack and a warp core breach.  

As is well established, I'm not a fan of time travel in Star Trek so I won't dwell on it.  All of the backwards, forwards, slowing down, speeding up timey-wimey business feels like narrative cheating to me.  That's not to say there aren't a few clever elements I enjoy.  The truth behind the Romulan "attack" is satisfying.  There's humor, too: Riker's fear of Data's cat, Data stepping out of the way of a crewman walking in rewind, Picard unfaltering politeness to a time-frozen Worf, etc.

So while I could never count such an episode among my favorites, I can understand how someone without my hangups might like it.


Acting Notes

via Breaking Bad Wiki

Michael Bofshever played an unnamed time travelling aliens disguised a Romulan.  Bofshever was born October 12, 1950 in Brooklyn, New York.  "Timescape" was his second of two Trek appearances.  He had been in DS9's "Progress" just the month before.  He also performed as an engineer in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, though his part was cut from the final film.  Other television work includes guest credits for both Six Feet Under and Breaking Bad.


2 comments:

  1. I wanted to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and I hope you are not swamped with too much snow. Just enough to have a lovely White Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's been more high winds that have been troublesome here. Definitely a white Christmas!

      Delete