Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Squid Eats: Parkway Diner

As discussed many times before, we love diners.  And yet, 22 years into the Vermont chapter of our lives, we hadn't visited one of our area's oldest establishments, Parkway Diner in South Burlington, until this month.  Now we've been twice in the past few weeks, once for breakfast, once for lunch.  It's quite a popular place, especially with young couples it seems - a popular morning after spot, perhaps?  We sat at the counter both times, all of the booths already taken.

The first visit was breakfast: waffle with a side of ham for me, 


breakfast sandwich for the child 


and eggs over easy for my wife.  


All was perfectly acceptable.  

However, the really exciting discovery was the patty melt on the lunch menu.  My wife, an Indiana native, has long bemoaned the lack of patty melts in New England.  So, we knew we'd be back.

Lunch: Parkway Club for me, 


the eagerly anticipated patty melt for my wife.  


My club was quite nice.  The Parkway includes both ham and turkey and the slices are thick.  The patty melt, unfortunately, was a disappointment.  It's not the diner's fault, really.  My wife said if she'd looked at the menu more closely - she was too excited for details - she'd have seen the problem and ordered something else.  Thousand island dressing was the trouble.

We'll undoubtedly go again.

2 comments: