Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Squid Perks: Lavender Coffee

In early October, I got a very exciting text thread from our child asking about lavender bitters.  

"Does it exist?" they asked.  "I've found I like lavender in coffee."

"Wow, are you ever my kid," I responded.

The Purple Penguin is now 20 years old.  They don't drink alcohol (beyond a few curious sips - or so they assure us) nor am I inclined to encourage them to do so before they're of legal age.  But as that is coming soon, I give a lot of thought to their general flavor preferences so I can offer a tailored celebratory beverage when the moment arrives.  As such, this exchange provided valuable information.

Yes, lavender bitters exist and no, I've never tried it.  Bitters are typically alcohol-based but syrups do not present such an obstacle.  So, there's no reason we can't start experimenting with lavender syrup now.  I picked up a bottle of Floral Elixir Co.'s product for our purposes.


So far, I have tried 25 ml, the Internet's recommended shot size, in coffee both with milk and without.  Lavender coffee recipes online are usually for lattes so while my general preference at home is black coffee (no fuss), it seemed reasonable to try it with milk any way.  In both cases, the result was pleasant - nothing overwhelming but pleasant.  I half-expected a soapy flavor due to early childhood lavender associations but there wasn't any.  

Despite the fact that they're the one who started the conversation, PP hasn't been overly eager to try it.  After they'd been home for a few days, I had to set the syrup bottle right next to the coffeemaker so they'd notice.  Kids...  Nonetheless, they did try and weren't overly thrilled with the result.  Too sweet.  However, they weren't averse to trying again sometime, with a lesser dose.

To date, this second attempt has not happened.

Oh well.  I certainly don't mind having a new flavor choice available and I'm grateful for a glimpse of their preferences.  I may yet seek out a bottle of lavender bitters in time for their birthday.

6 comments:

  1. There is an ice cream place in downtown Savannah that will seasonally have lavender ice cream for sale--my daughter loves it and I think it's okay, but there are better flavors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely try that.

      This begs the question, Jeff: what is your favorite flavor?

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I associate lavender with my grandmother which is a very pleasant thing. I have plenty of experience with it as an aroma. This is my first time exploring it as a flavor.

      Delete
  3. I love lavender- but have not tried it with coffee. Thanks for this post! :)

    ReplyDelete