Saturday, April 14, 2012

Second Basemen, A to Z: Joe Morgan

Player: Joe Morgan
Born: 9/19/1943 in Bonham, Texas
Major League Career: 1963-84
Games Played at Second Base: 2,527
Most Games Played For: Cincinnati Reds


Photo via Bleacher Report

In the New Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract, the sabermetrics guru named Joe Morgan the best second baseman in baseball history. Morgan was one of so many cogs in the Big Red Machine but it was he who won the National League MVP awards in 1975 and 1976, their two world championship years. Naturally, he was a first-ballot Hall of Famer, elected in 1990.

******************

For last year's A-Z Challenge, I featured players of the Baltimore Orioles/St. Louis Browns organization, my favorite baseball team. I managed to cover every position on the field except for one: second baseman. As such, I decided to devote this year's challenge entirely to the second base position, honoring the individuals who earned their keep playing one of the game's most demanding defensive positions.

Head on over to Blogging from A to Z April Challenge to find others joining the adventure.


Be sure to visit my new friends:

Maryann Miller's - It's Not All Gravy
Breathings

6 comments:

  1. Baseball hasn't really taken off in Australia, but I enjoy hearing about it, maybe I'll learn something from the blog :)
    Wagging Tales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, I have an Australian-born player in my A-Z list! Stay tuned.

      Delete
  2. I do not deny his skills nor his place in history, but MAN oh man I cannot hit mute fast enough when he is in the booth...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. How is it that such milquetoast people have risen to the top in baseball broadcasting?

      Delete
  3. I used to watch baseball back when the Blue Jays won back to back world series. Not much up on it anymore. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe Morgan was one of my favorite players...period! He is also an excellent commentator!! :)

    ReplyDelete