Thursday, April 19, 2012

Second Basemen, A to Z: Joe Quinn

Player: Joe Quinn
Born: 12/25/1864 in Sydney, Australia
Died: 11/20/1940 in St. Louis, Missouri
Major League Career: 1884-1901
Games Played at Second Base: 1,304
Most Games Played For: St. Louis Browns/Cardinals


Photo via Business Insider

Joe Quinn was the only Australian born player in the Majors until 1986, when Craig Shipley debuted for the Dodgers. Quinn worked as a mortician in the offseason. Before learning about him, I did not know that the Cardinals, like my Orioles, were once known as the St. Louis Browns.

*******************

For last year's A-Z Challenge, I featured players of the Baltimore Orioles/St. Louis Browns organization, my favorite baseball team. I managed to cover every position on the field except for one: second baseman. As such, I decided to devote this year's challenge entirely to the second base position, honoring the individuals who earned their keep playing one of the game's most demanding defensive positions.

Head on over to Blogging from A to Z April Challenge to find others joining the adventure.


Be sure to visit my friends:

Sharon Hamilton Author
PT Dilloway
Laura Eno
The story of a girl...

I'm very impressed by those folks out there who are doing the challenge on more than one blog. Such is the case for Matt Conlon at...

The Brew Newb
and
=]V[=

No comments:

Post a Comment